Just got the 2nd roll shot with the Recesky TLR (the plastic camera)*. I almost buggered up the whole thing unloading the film in the photo shop, as it was I exposed the first 4 shots and they were ruined (and looking at what was left of them, I don’t think it was much of a loss). The others came out ok, though.
Abbey Church window
Tower, Town Walls
Multi – Blossom
Bird on a Wire
As soon as the river gets this flooding thing out of its system, I’ll have a few more interesting things to be snapping. And hopefully the sun will come out a bit, too.
*The Recesky is a copy of the Gakkenflex camera, with a couple of very slight differences to maybe keep the legal types away.
I was worried about how these shots were going to come out. For a start, the Recesky (or Gakkenflex) is a plastic camera I assembled myself, plus there is almost nothing you can adjust on it. The focus can be moved a little, but it is quite difficult to tell what effect you are having.
As it was, it wasn’t so bad. There are a couple that were taken in too-dark light conditions and have hardly come out at all. The rest of them are ok, considering. I can’t wait until we get some actual sunshine, I’m sure I’ll get better photos then.
Arch in The Quarry Park
Porthill Bridge, Twice
It can be a bit of a pain getting what you want in the viewfinder, the image is left-right inverted. It can get very confusing. I can’t wait until there is some regular sunlight, I’m sure the quality will improve…
I got the camera built in about an hour, that was good fun – I enjoy building things. I tested the shutter (looked through the back while clicking) and noticed it only worked properly about 50%, the rest of the time it got stuck open, or stayed open while my finger was on the trigger, both would have lead to massive over-exposure of the film. I thought it might improve with use, as it loosened up.
Building the camera
It did the opposite. Plus, the film ‘counter’ wasn’t counting. It doesn’t actually count, the wheel just goes around to show that you’ve advanced the film by one frame. Well, it wasn’t doing that, even. A quick search later, I find that both are common problems. After a bit of further digging and some experimenting of my own I solved them.
This one should not be over-tightened
The Shutter: Don’t over-tighten the spring-loaded thing between the shutter and the round thing that turns when you press the shutter release thing. It should be just tight enough to do the whole shutter thing and no more. Try to get this right first time, I had to take the camera apart to fix this, and snapped a couple of things off that shouldn’t be snapped.
Film Counter: Squeeze the case on the back at a point halfway between the film advance winder and the ‘counter’. This seems to work. I’ve had to waste a film to play around and discover this, but as it was only from the pound shop anyway, it doesn’t matter that much.
The viewfinder looks surprisingly bright for something that requires no batteries, but not sure how much use it is with the focussing.
Viewfinder (doesn’t photograph very well)
Next: Monday morning, I shall buy some new film and set out to shoot a test roll! (I’d do it tomorrow, but I’m working)
I’ve just taken delivery of DIY camera – a Recesky TLR. That’s right, I’ve got to assemble it myself. When I clicked ‘buy’ a couple of weeks ago, it seemed like a fun idea, but now with dozens of plastic bits all over my bed, it is starting to look like a very silly idea indeed.
I’m quite good with instructions (my lego-fixated childhood not a complete waste, then), if only there were some in the box (it says on the front there are instructions enclosed!) although if there were they’d most likely be in Chinese anyway.