I saw some random camera bits on eBay the other week, bidding starting at £10. It wasn’t completely obvious what some of the things were, but some of them looked useful – the small lens hoods looked like they’d fit my Voigtlander Vito B cameras. There were a few filters in there too, and a rangefinder, surely some of these would be useful. So I put a bid in.
No-one else bid, so I won the lot. Some of the stuff is useful, some not…
- Small lens hoods: both 30mm and I need 32mm! No use to me at all!
- White shutter release cable: not bad at all, that’ll get used
- Black shutter release cable: broken, not repairable
- Monocular: Seems to work fine. Do I need one? Not really.
- Rangefinder: Numbers are almost too faint to read, but it works.
- Light Meter: Works ok I think, although it’s designed for old, slow film types
- Leather-covered box: Catch works, no key, but great condition (except strap has perished)
- Filter Glass 31mm: I can use these with filter holder
- 42mm Filter: Or is it a lens? Not sure what it does, fits 3 of my cameras
- Close-up Filter: Can use with 2 cameras (or anything accepting Series VI)
- Small film Spool tin: No use for film, but tin could be handy
- Filter Pouch: Ok, I could use this. Probably won’t.
- Small Metal Thing: It has small thread and large thread, no idea what this is!
- Filter Box: A disappointingly empty filter box. Am using it to store a filter.
- Drawstring bag for telephoto lens: If I ever buy a tele lens…
The weird thing with the numbers on it and an eye piece is a kind of exposure meter, which as it has almost no moving parts, is still in working order. The numbers on the rangefinder are almost too faint to read, but it works.
The small black lens hood unscrews to fit the filter glass, I’d never seen one like that before. So I bought one that fit my cameras and now I can use the filters, and there is less to mess about with when taking photos as filter and hood are one piece.
It was a bit risky buying a collection like this, which is obviously the seller having a bit of a clear out…